The Weinberg Center is pleased to announce the following upcoming virtual programs for the Spring 2021:
1. March 16, 2021, 9:45 am to 3:00 pm ET - University of Delaware Weinberg Center/ECGI Corporate Governance Symposium
Co-Sponsored with the European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI)
The Weinberg Center/ECGI Corporate Governance Symposium will include presentations of the two paper that won the Weinberg/IRRCi Research Paper Competition, as well as the six semi-finalist papers.
Congratulations to the two winning papers:
- The ESG-Innovation Disconnect: Evidence from Green Patenting Lauren Cohen (Harvard & NBER) (Presenter), Umit Gurun (UT Dallas), Quoc Nguyen (DePaul U.)
- The Distribution of Voting Rights to Shareholders Vyacheslav Fos (Boston College) (Presenter), Cliff Holderness (Boston College)
For the full list of papers, presenters and discussants, please see Events
on the Center's website.
2. March 23, 2021, 10:00 am to 11:30 am ET - 2021 Corporate Governance Symposium – Roundtable
The Roundtable portion of the Weinberg Center's 2021 Corporate Governance Symposium will focus on "Governance Issues of Critical Importance to Boards and Investors in 2021." The confirmed panel includes:
- Carol Ward, Senior Advisor at Corporate Governance Partners, Inc., and the former Vice President and Corporate Secretary at Mondelēz International, Inc. (Moderator)
- Honorable Tamika Montgomery-Reeves, Justice, Delaware Supreme Court
- Donna Anderson, Vice President and Head of Governance for T. Rowe Price
- Aeisha Mastagni, Portfolio Manager, Sustainable Investment and Stewardship Strategies, California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS)
- Pat McGurn, Special Counsel and Head of Strategic Research and Analysis, ISS
- Gloria Santona, Of Counsel, Baker & McKenzie LLP, Director for Aon, PLC and the retired Executive Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary of McDonald's
3. April 20, 2021, 11:00 am to 12:30 pm ET- "Running the Risk: How Corporate Boards Can Oversee Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Issues"
Co-Hosted with the Ceres Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets
The Weinberg Center will be co-hosting a webinar roundtable with Ceres, "Running the Risk: How Corporate Boards Can Oversee Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Issues." The webinar will focus on board oversight of ESG issues. The panel of confirmed participants includes:
- Veena Ramani, Senior Program Director, Capital Market Systems, Ceres (Moderator)
- Peggy Foran, Chief Governance Officer, Senior Vice President and Corporate Secretary, Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Matt DiGuiseppe, Vice President, Asset Stewardship Team, State Street Global Advisors
- Cynthia Williams, Professor, Osler Chair in Business Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Susan Mac Cormac, Partner, Morrison & Foerster
4. May 12, 2021, 11:00 am to 12:30 pm ET - John L Weinberg Distinguished Speaker
The Weinberg Center will be hosting a webinar featuring Vice Chancellor J. Travis Laster from the Delaware Court of Chancery and the Weinberg Center's 2021 John L Weinberg Distinguished Speaker.
5. May 26, 2021, 11:00 am to 12:30 pm ET - "Moving Beyond Modern Portfolio Theory: Investing That Matters"
The Weinberg Center will be hosting a webinar featuring Jon Lukomnik and James Hawley focusing on their newly published book "Moving Beyond Modern Portfolio Theory: Investing That Matters". The book tells the story of how Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT) revolutionized the investing world and the real economy, but is now showing its age. MPT has no mechanism to understand its impacts on the environmental, social and financial systems, nor any tools for investors to mitigate the havoc that systemic risks can wreck on their portfolios. The authors believe that it's time for MPT to evolve. Jon Lukomnik is Managing Partner of Sinclair Capital LLC and and a Senior Fellow at the High Meadows Institute, and James Hawley is Head of Applied Research at TruValue Labs, San Francisco and Professor
Emeritus School of Economics and Business, Saint Mary College of
Please mark your calendars for these not-to-be-missed webinars!
More details and registration information will follow.